Monday, March 8, 2010

Big Island

We went on a weekend getaway to the Big Island on February 26th. We were all so psyched to see another one of the Hawaiian islands. We stayed at Kilauea Military Camp which consists of a bunch of little cabins and some pretty cool recreational activities. It sits on Volcanoes National Park, which is 4,000 feet above sea level, so it's actually pretty cool up there. It got down to the mid 50s at night and the high was about 70° all weekend. There was also a little bowling alley, tennis courts, a mini theater, some playgrounds, a little cafe, etc.

We left our island Friday afternoon, and by the time we flew over there, rented a car, and drove to the cabins, it was already about 8:30pm so we didn't do anything that night. The next morning, my sister called and woke me up at about 4am to tell me there was a tsunami warning for Hawaii. We immediately turned on the news and were glued to the tube for several hours. The local news said not to drive on the roads so emergency vehicles could get around easily, so we were stuck at the cabins the first half of the day. We went bowling and played at the playground until the threat passed.

Once we got the "all clear," we went sight seeing. The next day we went on a whale and dolphin watch boat ride on the other side of the island. You'll notice from the slideshow, we saw a bunch of dolphins and whales, but we had to keep our distance from the whales. Hawaii law states you can't boat up to them within 100 yards. If they swim up to you, that's a different story. At one point on the trip, one came within maybe 25-30 yards. It was pretty cool. A lot of the pictures from the boat look the same but I swear they're different!

Aloha!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fun getaway and here we were so worried about the tsunami. The kids looked so tired after their adventure at the park.
My favorite picture was where Sam was telling Hannah he loved her....so cute! Love you guys.
MC

said...

We love you, too, MC!

mrssanchez said...

Amazing! I still love your videos. I wish I knew how to create them for my kids. Your trip looked like a lot of fun.. and btw, you have the most beautiful kids. Hannah is gorgeous and Sam has such a pretty boy handsome face. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Grandpa said...

Thanks Mija, I really enjoyed seeing you guys, its almost like being there. I did not see you , but I will see you in August God willing. Mom is on her way today and I feel like part of me is going with her. Hug and kiss her for me so she can bring it back to me. Love Dad.

said...

Thanks, Mrs. Sanchez!

said...

Grandpa, I can't wait 'til you can come to Hawaii, too. We love you!

Anonymous said...

We love watching your videos Lauri!! You guys are making such wonderful memories! Tell the kids that Uncle Jeremy and Aunt Wendi love them!

said...

Will do, Wendi!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the video. My favorite was also when Sam was telling Hannah he loved her. They are such loving kids. I can't believe I was the last one to see this when I've been checking the blog constantly. It IS almost like seeing y'all in person. We love you.

Claudia said...

I can't believe I barely noticed this blog entry! That was an awesome weekend. Looks like the kids had a blast. Y'all are the best parents in the world, your kids are always so happy and loved. I agree with Mrs. Sanchez, they ARE beautiful. They're so good to each other, too. I miss them and I miss you. Enjoy your time with Mama, and hug the kids for me. I love you!

said...

I love you, too, Aunt Yolanda & Cai!

Darlene said...

Love the video Lauri. The kids are getting so big. There is so much love in all your faces. Hope to see yall soon.

Anonymous said...

That was so amazing! Thanks for sharing this with us. Looks like a really fun and beautiful place to visit. I wonder how many people actually get to see such amazing beauty. I am, of course, speaking of Hannah and Sam.
Love, Mom and Dad