Friday, May 28, 2010

Hannah's Pool Party

Last Saturday was Hannah's birthday party. She decided she wanted a swimming party this year so we had it at one of the pools at Pearl Harbor. It was really nice because we had the whole pool to ourselves. There were also 2 lifeguards there the entire time so we didn't have to really worry about the guests that weren't strong swimmers. Hannah likes the little water slide at the pool and I like that there's a shallow end for the little ones (like Sammy).

This year I decided to only make a few things; the invitations, the piñata, and some beach ball cookies. I wanted to keep it simple. All was going according to plan until the piñata. It took WAAAAAAAAAY longer than I expected. First of all, it took a whole day for each layer of papier-mâché (which I originally did 4 layers of). Then I put all of the goodies inside and it seemed to be sooooo heavy, so I did another layer allover and an additional layer near the top. Then it was finally time to decorate. That took forever, too. I cut up a bunch of little squares of tissue paper and glued each one on individually after wrapping it around the eraser of a pencil. If I had to estimate how many hours it took to cover the whole piñata, I would say about 20-25. Can you believe that?! It was ridiculous, even by my standards, but once I had started, I didn't see any other way to do it without destroying hours of work. Anyway, Hannah really liked it, which is all that matters.

In this little slideshow/album, you'll see a few pictures of the invitation, the cookies I made, and the infamous piñata, as well as of my little angel. She said this was her favorite party so far. She had 15 guests attend and had so much fun with them. The party was supposed to be from 1-3pm, but we ended up staying until about 5pm. A few of the guests begged their parents to let them stay longer and Hannah & Sam weren't ready to leave either.

Overall, I'd say it was a success! (Thank you, Jesus!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG you made this so special for her! It looks like they had a blast. I definitely would have told them the pinata was an ornament after all that work. LOL! As always, Hannah looks so beautiful. I also really loved the video part where Sammy is swimming. He's such a good swimmer. Love you all! I'm texting your mom to let her know you've updated your blog. I tried calling but I got no answer.

said...

Thanks, Aunt Yolanda!

Grandpa said...

Man oh man I wish I could have been there because mija was smiling so much and I know she loved it. You did a great job mija, as usual. This party was looking like a whole lot of fun. Looks like Sam really enjoyed himself too. Kiss the babies for me.

Deucie said...

M'ija, everything looks so beautiful. You always do so much for your children. They will treasure those lovely memories in their hearts forever. Thank you for being a great mom to my little grandchildren. They always look so happy in their tropical paradise. Rudy and I really appreciate you, M'ija, and we are so proud of you. I wish I could put my arms around you. I miss you so much.
Two more months!! I can't wait!

said...

I miss y'all, too. I love you!

mrssanchez said...

Wow! That piñata is awesome! YOU are awesome! Hannah looked so happy and like she had a ton of fun. Very cool.

Claudia said...

Bobby and I kept saying over and over again, "Aw I wish we could've been there!" Bobby said to tell you that he's SO excited to see y'all. I am, too. What a fabulous party you made for her. She looked ecstatic. My only complaint is that I wasn't there to share it with her. She looks so grown up already. She's beautiful, Lauri. Every time I see new pictures I'm in awe of her beauty. I can't wait to hug and kiss her. I loved seeing her beaming with her little friends, it was so cute. Sammy looked great swimming around. I love you so much and I'm so proud of your amazing party planning skills. Everything from the piñata to the cookies was PERFECT. You are the best Mom in the whole world, well, second to our Mom of course. I love you, sistah!

Darlene said...

I can't wait to go back to Hawaii. It's going to be great seeing you, scott and the kiddos.
you did a wonderful job with the party. the decorations, invitations, and all look great. i wish i had your talent. much love to yall <3