Thursday, May 14, 2009

Diamond Head Crater

On Saturday, May 9th, we went to Diamond Head with a couple of friends, Lee & Sinae. Diamond Head is an extinct volcanic crater that was given its name by the British who first thought the glimmering crystals in the lava rock were diamonds. I read online that the hike to the top is classified as easy to moderate and there’s a trail the whole way up so I figured it couldn’t be that bad. Even with the trail it was a little tough.

Would you believe Hannah and Sam made it all the way up all by themselves. In fact, Hannah left us in the dust. She was so excited about getting to the top that she practically sprinted the whole way. If she didn’t have to wait for us she would have made it up in less than half an hour, I bet. It took us at least twice that long. I was so proud of her, and Sam. He just kept on chugging. He was determined to do it all by himself. He’s such a little man.

There were four sets of ridiculous stairs. One of them had 99 steep steps, another had 76. The rest didn’t have quite so many but it was still rough. There was a beautiful view of Honolulu and the ocean once we got to the top. It was definitely well worth it. We stayed up at the top for a little while to rest and hydrate (and take pictures). Hannah & Sam each got a certificate for making it all the way to the very top.

Even though he didn’t want to admit it, poor little Sammy was tired. He let Scott carry him most of the way back down.

Samuel’s been talking non-stop about when we climbed up the BIG MOUNTAIN and how he wants to take his Deucie and Grandpa to it when they come. (Better pack your hiking shoes, guys!)

Here’s a video of our hike up Diamond Head.

Aloha!

3 comments:

Deucie said...

Awww M'ija, your family is so beautiful. They look so happy. The view from the top is breathtaking! The ocean looks so much better than South Padre Island. (no comparison) I can't wait 'til July. Now I know why your friend reminds you of Claudia, she even looks like Claudia!
Please try to spoil those babies rotten from Grandpa and me.

Claudia said...

Omg, that girl DOES look like me! Aw I hope Hannah hasn't found a replacement for her Auntie :( She's MY baby! I wanna climb that mountain right when we get there, that was awesome! I'm so proud of the kids for climbing all the way to the top. I miss you guys so much. I love you sissy :)

Grandpa said...

Mija, I was watching the video and I sure would like to see that view in person. I don't know if I could climb all that fast though. I guess I could keep up with Sam. Thanks for keeping us posted. tell Escott I like his shirt.