Our backyard is in sad shape. Since we’re living in military housing, we’re lucky enough to have someone take care of the mowing and watering in the front and side yards. All we are responsible for is the backyard. The problem is, whoever lived here before was severely lacking in the green thumb department and the back is full of weeds. We couldn’t really tell when we first moved in because the yard had been mowed. Within the first week I knew we had a problem.
My first instinct was to buy a weed eater. Makes sense, right? Scott used it to chop all of the weeds down but unfortunately, they grew right back to mammoth size within a few days. Literally our entire yard looks like one giant weed. I don’t know if the climate here makes a difference but I swear these are extra hardy weeds.
The next logical step was to buy Weed-Be-Gone. We used an entire bottle and the weeds still flourished. I asked one of the lawn maintenance men when he was doing the front yard if he had any suggestions. He said to dig ‘em out.
So, I bought a little gardening set at Home Depot and guess what… those brawny weeds broke my tools. Two of them bent and one broke in half!
Next we tried a big shovel. That finally worked, at least I think it did. We dug all of the weeds up, which, like I said, is the majority of the yard. Right now we just have huge holes everywhere but we’re planning to plant some grass seed and see if that takes over. I’ll let you know if we’re successful. If anyone has any suggestions about keeping the weeds from coming back, I’d love to hear them.
Anyway, while Scott and I were bulldozing the yard, Hannah and Sam were playing outside. Sam insisted on helping us. We tried to give him one of his little plastic sand shovels but he was not fooled. He wanted to do some real work with the “BIG tool,” as he called it. We let him help out for a little and I, of course, took pictures. He did a really good job and he’s much stronger than I thought. Those weeds were tough but he showed ‘em who was boss.
I made a short video of his adventures in weeding.
Aloha!

4 comments:
Aw he is so cute! What a good helper! I can't believe he was doing that all by himself, he's such a big boy. He made me laugh and smile the biggest kool-aid smile ever! My sweet sweet baby. I love that little boy so much. And those weeds are huge! Bobby and I were laughing at your intro, lol. I don't know what you'll come up with next. Love you!
My sweet baby boy, he's such a hardworker! We're so proud!! I'm glad to see he's trying to earn his keep! Tell him he can maintain our garden when y'all return to the main land. I can see his muscles, too. He's so precious. Rudy and I especially missed the babies on Mother's Day. When we went to have brunch, it seemed like everyone had their grandbabies with them. We were so sad and envious.
Hi Mija, I am glad Panson is getting some exercise. I saw a good weed killer on a Lowes commercial and they guarantee it to work. I believe it is called Preen. I am sending you some
pictures soon. I just have to find a camera. I love you. Kiss the babies for me.
Papa and I are so proud of his hard work. That's how his Daddy was too. He always wanted to help out with the tools and yardwork. Sam is really growing! We love you all very much.
Post a Comment