Hannah’s 8th birthday is next month, July 11th. The only problem with having a birthday in the middle of summer is that it’s hard getting school friends together for a party. Last year we tried having her birthday party a month early. It worked out so great that we decided to do the same this year.
Her last day of school is Monday, June 8th, and her party is going to be that Saturday, June 13th. I asked her what kind of party she wanted and she said she wants to go ice skating. (I guess that’s one way to stay cool!) I reserved a couple of tables at the local ice skating rink and thought, “Wow, that was easy. They provide the skates, drinks, pizza, balloons, etc. Now all I have to do is get a cake and send out some invitations!”
Those of you that know me well know that I couldn’t just go out and buy some cute invitations. I had to make some. It took me forever!
First, I sketched out an ice skate. Then I scanned it and minimized it so it would fit on a card. Then I printed several on cardstock. Then, I cut out the blades out of this really cool mirrored cardstock I found at a local craft store. Then I had to punch small holes in the skate and then thread ribbon through the holes. After that, I printed out some simple invitations. That took me a while, too, because I decided they had to be in two different shades of Hannah’s favorite color, purple. Then I couldn’t decide if it was too corny that I made the invitations rhyme. (Scott assured me that it was appropriate for an 8 year old.) The last step was to mount the skate using 3D glue dots onto each invitation. I scanned one of them and here it is…
She distributed them at school yesterday and we’ve already gotten a couple of RSVPs. One mom said my invitation was too cute! (Tee! Hee!)
Now all I need to do is figure out how to decorate an ice skating cake. I know I should just order one but, they don’t call me Marta Estewart for nothing. I have to make it myself! I’m sure I’ll be posting a picture of that, too.

5 comments:
Ok I thought I was laughing hard when I saw Sammy's video, but no, you had me laughing SO LOUD with your detailed description of your invitation making process! LOL! Oh Lauri, you're so silly! But Hannah will always have such beautiful memories of her birthdays growing up. You're such a good mama. Don't overdue it Marta, you're still my wedding planner/Matron of Honor!
That is one awesome invitation! ...sure makes me want to RSVP! :)
I wish we could be there for my angel's party. I'm sending her something and I hope she gets it in time for her party. Tell her that she's in my heart always.
Oh, BTW, your invitations are beautiful, as always.
omg lauri. you did it again. they came out perfect!
Mija, I had not had time to comment since I am slow and had been very busy. I want you to tell my little sweetheart that I wish her a Happy Birthday and give her a big hug and a kiss from old grandpa. I love you Hannah and I bet you had a great Birthday party. I am proud of you and I know that you will grow up to be my movie star.
Post a Comment