Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Thunderbirds

A little over a week ago, Hickam Air Force Base had an "open house." They had all kinds of aircraft available to the public to board and explore. They also had a little carnival for the "keiki" ("kids" in Hawaiian) as well as some live entertainment and, the big event, the Thunderbirds performed. The Thunderbirds are an Air Force stunt team that tours around performing AMAZING aerobatics.

This was my first time to ever see them. My parents took Hannah & Sam to an airshow once in San Antonio at one of the Air Force bases there. They highly recommended going to one at our next opportunity so, as soon as I heard the Thunderbirds were coming to Hawaii, we jumped at the chance.

It was an awesome day. We got there early because everyone had warned us that the parking would be nightmarish. We got really good parking but, getting there early meant we were there ALL DAY (in the sun) until the Thunderbirds performed at 3:30. (That's why in the pictures you'll see that Hannah & Sam are wearing hats.) We also had to wear tennis shoes because I read on-line that if we wanted to board some of their planes on display, you couldn't have open-toe shoes.

Anyway, when we first got there we boarded a plane just like the one we flew on when we took the "military hop" to Texas in July. There was a little bit of a line to be able to go up into the cockpit, but it was well worth it. It was really cool to be able to show Scott what kind of plane we traveled on and to be able to post a few pictures. [A little back story; When we actually flew on the military plane in July, I had to check my carry-on bag because it was too big. It had my camera in it, so I wasn't able to take any pictures of our adventures. :( ]

After touring several planes (big & small) and helicopters, we went to the snack area. The kids got pizza and ice cream while we listened to some local bands entertain the crowd. After the sustenance, we went to the carnival area. They had a bunch of inflatable bouncy houses, a small ferris wheel, a trackless train, swings, a carousel, face painting, etc. Hannah & Sam had a blast there.

After that, it had already been about 5 hours, so we found a place to sit (under a wing of a plane) to get ready for the Thunderbirds. The places in the shade filled up fast! In the pictures you'll probably notice some orange and green things sticking out of Sam's ears... I took our ear plugs (from our military flight in July) for Hannah & Sam. I had heard from Mom & Dad that it can get pretty noisy.

It was totally amazing! They did so many awesome stunts that blew my mind. Sam absolutely LOVED it. He kept saying the planes were going soooo fast! I bought little model F-16s for him and Hannah while we were there. As the Thunderbirds performed, Sam kept trying to replicate their stunts with his little plane.

It was a really fun day and I can't wait for the Thunderbirds to come back to Hawaii!
Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: Thunderbirds
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox

Aloha!

P.S. Did anybody recognize the music I used in the Smilebox? Anyone, anyone...? It's the theme from Top Gun!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like Sammy had alot of fun. When they were sitting by that little boy was he being a little bully? hee,hee. Hannah looks so cute and so grown up. MC

mrssanchez said...

How fun! We're planning to go to the Marine air show with the Blue Angels this weekend before my hubby has his surgery. Sam looked so cute with those big ole earplugs in! :)

Deucie said...

I can just imagine Sammy trying to make those jet sounds. That's what he was doing in San Antonio. He kept imitating all the noise!! Wow! My Hannah looks so tall! She's so beautiful.
We'll see y'all Sunday. Then you and Scott can have all the date nights you want and we'll have the babies all to ourselves. Yea!!!

said...

In that video clip (of Sam on the plane) he was trying to get ANYone, & he didn't care who, to look at the planes in the booklet he was "reading." He was soooo excited to be around so many jets.

said...

Michelle, what kind of surgery did your husband have? Is he doing OK? I hope it was nothing serious. We'll be praying for him.

mrssanchez said...

He tore his ACL and meniscus in his right knee...so he's having surgery on Monday if all goes according to plan (never know with the NAVY). Thanks for the prayers! I'll keep you posted with his recovery and how much fun we'll have with that. :P His dad is coming down to help us out.
Sammy reminds me of Nick about the jets. He always mimics the jet sounds and gets SUPER excited when a military jet flies overhead - "JET MAMA JEEEEEEET!!!" I love little boys!! :)

Claudia said...

Aw Sam was so cute in that video! I knew he wanted that little boy to be his friend, and I got sad when he wouldn't pay attention to Sammy. I was laughing when he told Hannah, "No Hannah that be too high!" He's so funny. I miss his little voice. Hannah looked beautiful and like a little lady. She's getting so mature and big. I would love to see one of these shows, it looks awesome! You're such a good mommy.

Anonymous said...

OH, I see he was trying to get the little boy's attention.

Claudia said...

I watched this another 10 times just to see that video with Sammy, again, lol. I just think it's so cute the way he tells Hannah it's too high! I wish I was going with Mom & Dad to see you guys. Miss and love you so much.

said...

I love you, too, Cai. I can't wait until Christmas!

Anonymous said...

where's my photo?

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say, please!