Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Atlantis Submarine in Waikiki

On Sunday, August 9th, my mom & dad, Aunt Yolanda & Uncle Jesse, and Hannah, Sam, & I (Scott had to work) went on the Atlantis Submarine tour in Waikiki. It was really fascinating and informative.

First, we went on about a 15-20 minute boat ride that took us out to the reef where we boarded the submarine. The kids (well, actually all of us) really enjoyed that boat ride. It was a double decker boat so we immediately went to the upper deck where the views were the best. You could see all of Waikiki and also Diamond Head Crater. The water looked so unbelievably blue. It almost looked fake. In the Smilebox album I included a little video of Hannah & Sam on the boat. (It was a little windy so you might have to turn your speakers down!)

Once we got to the reef, we boarded the submarine. It was about a 45 minute tour of the reef and we got down to about 100 feet below surface. It was really interesting. The water is so clear that you could easily see all kinds of different fish and turtles, etc. The tour included a fish guide book so we could identify the fish we were seeing. Hannah made it a point to find Hawaii's state fish, the humuhumunukunukuapua'a. My mom had just bought Hannah a book about it a couple of days before and Hannah just thought that was the coolest word ever. She says it all the time now and tries to fit it into everyday conversation.

We also saw a few spotted eagle rays (stingrays). Mom & Dad had actually seen one while they were kayaking at their beach house so they were already familiar with those. There were also several sea turtles just lounging around on the reef. Of course, there were tons of other fish that I've forgotten the names of.

After the submarine ride, we boarded the boat again and headed back to Waikiki. It was so much fun! It was the perfect day to be out on the water. The weather was beautiful, of course, and the company (family) was even better!

Enjoy the Smilebox, there's gonna be plenty more to come. I'm still organizing all of my pictures.

Once open, just click on the bubble to enlarge the photo...
Click to play this Smilebox postcard: Atlantis Submarine
Create your own postcard - Powered by Smilebox

4 comments:

Grandpa said...

Thanks for the pics Mija. I really enjoyed that submarine. I miss you guys.

Claudia said...

Aw that looks like it was fun! Wish we could've been there with y'all. Love and miss you guys so much.

Yolanda said...

OMG, you are so creative. I love the way you did this. I miss you all too but I am happy to see that you already booked your flights. I've been looking at the December flights cause I was going to give you a heads up if I saw some good rates. Love you!

Deucie said...

I can't get over how blue and beautiful the Pacific Ocean was. I can't wait to go back to beautiful Hawaii, but most of all to my beautiful grandbabies. I miss y'all sooo much. I'm still depressed about having to come back here. It's so hot over here. I miss the cooler weather in Hawaii!