Thursday, August 20, 2009

Jungle Tour at Kualoa Ranch

Claudia and Bobby got married at a beach called Secret Island. It is part of Kualoa Ranch, the largest piece of privately owned property in Hawaii. At the ranch they offer tours of the mountain range on their property (Ko'olau Mountains), ocean voyages, horseback riding, and movie tours. Several movies have been filmed there including Jurassic Park, Godzilla, George of the Jungle, 50 First Dates, Pearl Harbor, and the TV series LOST.

Anyway, my parents took Sam on the Jungle Tour there. They said they had so much fun and we just had to take Hannah on it. A couple of days after they took the tour, we went on it. They were right, it was really fun. It takes guests through the mountains on a 40 year old 6-wheel drive Swiss Army Pinzgauer bus type vehicle. It probably seats maybe 12-16 people but we were the last ones to load up on the bus and the three of us (Scott, Hannah, & I) ended up being the only ones on the bus. We got our own private tour! It was really cool because we got to ask him to stop whenever we wanted to take pictures from the mountains.

The trail was really bumpy and our tour guide seemed to be a scary driver but it added to the fun. He pointed out certain places where they filmed scenes from different movies and he stopped to show us the native plants and trees. We got to taste the Kukui nut and these little purple flowers that I forgot what they're named but they tasted kinda like mushrooms. He also showed us the Awapuhi that the Hawaiians used to use to soften their hair.

The views were so beautiful from up there. We had a great view of Chinaman's Hat and the back of Secret Island. Here are a few of the pictures that I took on the tour as well as a short video clip of how bumpy the ride was.

Aloha!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Jungle Tour
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

Hey, Deucie, I saw this treasure first. Just kidding! I just kept hitting refresh 'til something new came up. After I did my moment of silence for Michael today, I didn't have anything to do. Hope you know I'm kidding!!! Lauri, great pictures! I'm so crazy, I was thinking that I didn't remember that colorful vehicle. I didn't realize that was a border you were using. LOL! Like I keep saying, very creative!

said...

Aunt Yolanda, you are so hilarious with your moment of silence! I am literally Laughing Out Loud!

Deucie said...

Hannah looks so adorable. I miss her so much. And yes Yolanda, you are hilarious. We already had our moment of silence early this morning.

Claudia said...

LOL, Aunt Yolanda is the best! And I love that there's a picture of Lauri in this slideshow :)